Wednesday, August 5, 2015

The Covenant of Genesis -- McDermott

Picked up The Covenant of Genesis from a book exchange on the island for lack of better options and because I am a sticker for Ancient Civilizations. So much so that I will arbitrarily capitalize those words when put together.  The author mentions plot points from previous books and so I realize that this is not the first of his books that I've read and I'm certain that I've attained the previous McDermott missive in exactly the same way.  The writing is mostly violent action sequences that sound like pleas for Hollywood to take notice. Exploding eyeballs, hanging goats used as sheilds, bombed archaeological sites and control centers with flaying electrical wires... These are a few of his favorite things, and so I'm half reading, half skimming and chanting "blah blah blah".  I wish it were a little more Dan Brown and a little less Mario Puzo, but I guess it's OK for a summer read that you can forget until the next installment you find waiting for you at a beach bar somewhere down the line.

No comments:

Post a Comment